Bring Christmas alive with our wonderful range of living gifts, Christmas Trees, festive colour and don’t forget, gift vouchers! A world away from the crowed shopping malls, you’re sure to find gifts to delight the gardener in your life.
On behalf of all of us at Dawson’s we’d like to wish you and your family a Happy Christmas and a green and growing New Year!
Our Christmas Gift to You
To help make this a green and growing Christmas, we’d like to offer you a 15% discount on all purchases made through our online store at www.dawsonsgardenworld.com.au until the end of *December. Simply enter the voucher code GREEN CHRISTMAS in the voucher code prompt when you checkout and the 15% discount will be automatically applied.
Enjoy total gardening convenience as you shop 24/7 with a huge range of Dawson’s quality, guaranteed plants and garden products available. You can even order Dawson’s gift vouchers and we’ll send them to the recipient with your personal message in a card.
What to Plant Now
Flowering this Month: Agapanthus, begonia, bougainvillea, frangipani, geranium, grevillea, hibiscus, magnolia, mandevilla, oleander, plumbago, poinsettia, roses, salvia, star jasmine, stephanotis and vincas.
Now is the Perfect Time to Plant: Alstroemeria, begonias, bougainvillea, calibrachoa, crepe myrtles, geraniums, hibiscus, magnolia, mandevillas, petunia, portulaca, roses, salvia and weeping mulberries.
Edibles to Plant this month: Basil, blueberries, capsicum, chilli, cucumber, eggplant, figs, grapes, mangoes, mint, parsley, rosemary, sage, rockmelon, stevia, squash, tomatoes and zucchini.
Garden Jobs for December
1. Spray Red Spider Mites with Mavrik, Natrasoap or Eco Neem. Spray twice, two weeks apart to bring mite populations under control.
2. Apply quality wetting agents like Eco Wet, Grosorb or Aqua Wet to water repellent garden areas and lawns. Soil wetters allow water to penetrate deeply and quickly into our water resistant soils.
3. Mulch, Mulch, Mulch it’s always a good time to mulch. Coarse grade mulches like chunky pine bark do a great job retaining soil moisture.
4. Water container plants that are growing in full sun regularly as they dry out much faster than plants in the ground.
5. Gradually wean your Christmas tree back into full sun conditions. Move your tree first into a semi shaded garden area for several weeks and then slowly move it back into full sun.
Dawson’s Coffee Shop Renovations Completed
The renovations to our much loved Coffee Shop at Dawson’s Forrestfield have now been completed and the Coffee shop is once again trading with a full menu. Renovations have focused on improving the kitchen and preparation areas to allow for growing demand. The building which is now the Coffee shop was at one time the original Dawson family homestead and was built in the 1920’s.
While it’s had a bit of a touch up, the building retains its relaxed, heritage feel and it’s a great place to enjoy a tea, coffee, Devonshire tea or light lunch. We hope to see you soon.
Our Top 10 Christmas Gift Ideas
1) Standard Roses – Treat the gardener in your life to an elegant Standard Rose. Ideal for framing entrances, beds or feature planters. This year our nursery has turned out a bumper crop of beautiful standards, so take your rose garden to new heights!
2) Dawson’s designer topiary – Add a touch of class with our selection of specially grown topiaries including assorted standards, cones and other shapes. Choose from Blue Potato Bushes, Gardenias, Hibiscus, Lilly Pillies and more.
3) Aloha Mandevillas – Say “hello” to summer colours with the sizzling colours of Aloha Mandevillas. These shrubby climbers flower their heads of all summer and are so easy to care for. Ideal for features pots around the terrace, patio, deck or pool. Choose from five vibrant colours: Bright Pink, Red, Dark red, Regal Ruby and White.
4) Red Poinsettias – Showy red Poinsettias make a long lasting Christmas table display or gift.
5) Fragrant Gardenias – Seductive Gardenias ooze romance with their creamy flowers, glossy foliage and enticing scents. Gardenias look gorgeous in feature planters or used as a flowering hedge or border. Select from creamy flowering forms including Aimee Yoshiba, Florida and Professor Pucci or unique gold flowering Gold Magic.
6) Aloha Calibrachoas – Double flowering, Peunia-like plants with mounded, semi trailing habit, ideal for pots, hanging baskets or pots. Best full sun to semi shade. Jewel like flowers in colours including Double Candy Apple Red, Double Lavender and Double Dark Pink.
7) Famous Dawson’s Roses – Delight rose lovers with a Dawson’s grown and guaranteed rose! Boasting Perth’s best range of new releases and old favourites, there’s truly a rose for everyone at Dawson’s!
8) Cora Cascade Trailing Vincas – These amazing trailing vincas form a carpet of colour all summer long. They are an ideal addition to beds, hanging baskets and pots, anywhere where there trailing habit can be shown off to advantage. They perform admirably through our summer heat and come in 5 variant colours; Polka Dot, Apricot, White, Lilac and Cherry.
9) Advanced Trees – Spoil them with advanced trees. Select from our instant impact range including: Chinese Tallow, Ornamental Plums and Pears, Indian Summer Crepe Myrtles, Magnolia Teddy Bears, Quinces, Weeping Mulberries and much more!
10) Dawson’s gift Vouchers- Always a welcome gift! Available to purchase in store or online at www.dawsonsgardenworld.com.au.
Black Caviar- This shrub rose is a sure winner! One for the romantics. Full and quartered velvety dark-red blooms with old world form. Intensely fragrant with jasmine, old rose and vanilla notes. Long arching canes. Height to 150mm
Double Delight- When we are asked what is the most fragrant rose we grow, Double Delight, is often at the top of the list. It’s a beautifully sculptured double cream, edged with red and fading to red overall. Double Delight is in elite company in the fragrance stakes having been awarded the American Rose Societies’ James Alexander Gamble Fragrance Medal. The Gamble Medal is awarded outstandingly fragrant roses. Double Delight grows to 120-135cm.
Friesia – A classic golden yellow floribunda rose bred by Kordes of Germany and released in 1977. It is a healthy grower and quick to repeat flower. It is one of the best floribundas and makes a wonderful flowering hedge, growing to 90-120cm. Friesia carries a strong fragrance and was awarded the American Rose Societies’ James Alexander Gamble Fragrance Medal in 1979.
Iceberg- Possibly the worlds most favourite rose and has taken all before it since its release by Reimer Kordes in 1958. Ever reliable, prolific clusters of pure white blooms throughout the season. Quick to repeat flower, it makes a fine flowering hedge and often used to under plant standard roses of a contrasting colour for example Satchmo Standards under- planted with Iceberg. Long may she reign!